Civil Process

The civil process section processes legal filings.

Contact: Chris Becker
Phone: (217) 357-2115
Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.  correspondence may be sent to:
Address: Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, Civil Process, 98 Buchanan Street Carthage, IL 62321


Can the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office give me advice?

The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office does not provide legal advice. However, the Sheriff’s Office may provide information about its policies and procedures regarding frequent types of Service of Process. Where applicable, the Sheriff’s Office will include tips to improve efficiency for all users of the system. In the event that you have additional questions, you may wish to contact a licensed attorney or any of the recognized Legal Aid foundations for legal advice.

How do I start my service of process?

The first step to starting your Service of Process begins at the Clerk of the Circuit Court. The Clerk of the Circuit Court can guide you to begin the filing of your court case.

What paperwork will I need for the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office to perform a service of process?

This depends on the type of case you are filing. You will need to provide paperwork for each named defendant. If you are serving more than one person at the same address, you need to multiply all of your paperwork (except the original) by that number. Example: If you want to serve John Doe, you will need to provide the original paperwork from the Clerk’s Office plus an additional copy of that paperwork. If you want to serve John Doe and Jane Doe, you will need to provide the original paperwork from the Clerk’s Office plus two copies of the paperwork.

How much does it cost for service of process?

The Fee for Service of Process is $35.00 plus mileage to and from the location, per defendant.  Click here for mileage fees by location.

Prepayment may be made by Check, Money Order or cash (do not mail cash).  Checks or Money Orders should be made payable to Hancock County Sheriff’s Office. Checks or Money Orders must be written for the exact amount.

What if I have questions about my service of process?

While the Sheriff’s Office cannot give legal advice, you can be informed as to its procedures and policies concerning the Service and execution of Civil Process. In order to obtain information specific to your case, you will need to provide the Case Number and/or the last name of the defendant You may wish to contact the Sheriff’s Office at (217) 357-2115.

What can I do to facilitate the process?

At the time of filing, you may be asked basic questions about the address and type of property in which the defendant is to be served. You are not required to answer these questions, but they are being asked in order to increase the success rate of the Service of Process. You may wish to include as much information as possible for Service upon the defendant when you are filing with the Sheriff’s Office. Be specific with your answers and include the Apartment Number, Unit Number or Suite Number so that the Sheriff’s Office knows exactly where to go. 


  • The best time to serve Jane Doe is in the morning. She works every day from 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm