Illinois Department of Public Health
605 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, illinois 62702-5097
Iowa Department of Public Health
Bureau of Health Statistics
Lucas State Office Building
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-5097
Missouri Department of Public Health
Bureau of Vital Records
P.O. Box 570
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Birth, death, or marriage must have occurred in Hancock County.
- Costs for certified copies of birth certificates, death certificates,
or marriage licenses: 1 is $12, 2 are $18, 3 are $24, etc.
- Make checks payable to Hancock County Clerk. Money orders and cash are accepted. No debit cards or credit cards
- Walk-ins may come to County Clerk’s Office, Courthouse, 500 Maine, Room 7, Carthage.
- Mail-in requests must be sent to Hancock County Clerk, P.O. Box 39, Carthage, lllinois 62321. Enclose payment and a self addressed, stamped envelope.
- Birth Certificates – must be requested by person himself or herself or a parent. Walk-ins complete a form while certified copy is being made. Mail-in requests must include:
- Name at birth.
- Date of birth.
- Place of birth (must be in Hancock County, typically Carthage or LalIarpe.
- Father’s name.
- Mother’s maiden name.
- Death Certificates
- Walk-in or mail request.
- Decedent’s name.
- Date of death.
- Marriage Certified Copy
- Walk-in or mail request.
- Groom’s name and bride’s maiden name.
- Date of ceremony.
- Deeds, mortages, releases, surveys, lis pendens, notices, etc.
- Cost is $45 in most cases if the document meets the following guidelines:
- Letter size paper, 8 1/2 ” by 11″. The base fee is $60 if the documents is on legal paper.
- No more than four pages long. If over four pages, the additional cost is $1 per page.
- Document must include a 3″ by 5″ area for recording on page one.
- Walk-ins may come to County Clerk’s Office, Courthouse, 500 Maine, Room 7, Carthage. Recording is done promptly, and the document is immediately returned to you.
- Mail-in requests must be sent to Hancock County Recorder, P.O. Box 39, Carthage, lllinois 62321. Enclose payment and a self addressed, stamped envelope.
Marriage License Application
- Marriage license guidelines follow:
- The wedding must occur in Hancock County.
- The license fee is $20. Checks payable to Hancock County Clerk, money orders and cash are accepted. No debit cards or credit cards.
- The couple must get the license from the Hancock County Clerk at least one day before the marriage ceremony, no more than sixty days before the ceremony.
- Licenses are issued between 8:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. weekdays, except holidays.
- Both the bride and groom must appear at the county clerk’s office.
- If either person is under 18, lllinois law requires consent of both parents.
- Information required:
- Names of bride’s parents. The state each parent was born in.
- Bride’s date and place of birth.
- Number of years of school bridge has completed.
- If previously married, the date and jurisdiction where dissolved. If widowed, the date the spouse died.
- New voters registering to vote in Hancock County, and bride’s who have changed her name must register as new voters.
- 18 years old on or before April 7th before the Election
- A resident of Hancock County and the State of lllinois
- Two forms of identification, one with their current address. Examples are a utility bill, driver’s license, or insurance card.
- Voters already registered in Hancock County must transfer his or her registration to his or her new address within Hancock County. (green form).
- Registration may be done at the following:
- Walk-ins may come to County Clerk’s Office, Courthouse, 500 Maine,Carthage.
- Persons may register to vote at the Hamilton City Hall, Warsaw City Hall, or Vorhies Insurance in Dallas City, too.